Did you know that as of January 2015 workers in Washington can now use a Personal E-Verify Service to confirm their own employment eligibility?
Why is that important, what does it mean, and how does it affect you as an employer?
- Using the my E-Verify Self Check a job seeker will enter the same personal information and document information that their employer provides through E-Verify.
- The Self Check system processes the information and confirms the worker’s authorization to work in the United States, or notifies them of issues.
Advantages of the new Self Check system
- Workers are able to create a series of quiz questions that only they know the answer to.
- Workers are able to place a lock on their Social Security number, preventing anyone else from using it to get a job with an employer that uses E-Verify.
- Workers can discover issues with their documentation before they seek employment.
Oftentimes job seekers are unaware of which documents are acceptable. By utilizing the Self Check system, problems can be discovered and corrected prior to employment.
- Workers must still complete an I-9 and if appropriate and process them through their own E-Verify system.