What you need to know about the new I9 form:
- You can download the form yourself here.
- You can start using this form any time, but you must use it as of 5/7/13.
- The I-9 form has been completely revised. The form itself is now nine pages long, with the fillable portion taking up two pages instead of one. The other seven pages are instructions.
- The acceptable documents did not change. The revisions are meant to make it easier for both the employer and the employee to complete. There are some new fields, reformatting to reduce errors, and clearer instructions.
- The 70+ page Handbook for Employers with instructions for completing the I-9 form has also been revised. It can either be downloaded from I-9 Central’s website, or can be ordered over the phone by calling (800) 870-1676.
- USCIS is offering free webinars to help employers with the new I-9 form. If interested, you can sign up here.
There’s no need to have current employees complete a new I-9. Just start with new hires some time between now and May 7th. And when you do, be sure to toss out all of the unused versions of the old form!